Saturday 29 August 2015

Word of the week.

As a child I used to pore over the dictionary and seek out words that, when used, would make me sound more adult and intelligent. I developed a penchant for grandiloquence.  Thankfully I have grown out of the pompous habit of using these words merely for the sake of it, in vain effort to appear more cognisant. A happy side effect of this endeavouring that it has improved my vocabulary to some degree, though only on paper, conversationally I still sound like a type writer chewing tin foil.
So, from time to time, I appear perhaps slightly more intelligent than I actually am, without sounding too egotistical or vain, a large vocabulary isn't at all a hallmark of I.Q just as a small vocabulary doesn't show the absence of one.
So the point of this dip into the pools of memory is to re establish my word of the week. This flight of fancy started at university, when a fellow student commented on the language I used in an assignment, which at the time was maybe a little too flowery and unnecessary. She asked if every week I would give her a new word to use, in an effort to increase her own arsenal of literary cannons and so, word of the week was born.
So my aim is to, weekly as the name suggests, share a word that I like, to hopefully spread the joy that can be found in the fickle mistress that is the English language.

This week: Coruscant, adj, sparkling or gleaming; scintillating.

Example: When polished correctly, with scalp oils and hard work. The bald man's head was positively coruscant.

No comments:

Post a Comment